Saturday, January 21, 2012

Juggling Act

I always knew motherhood, or parenting in general, was a juggling act.  If my mother taught me one thing about parenting at an early age it's that you have to wear a lot of hats, be organized, bite your tongue, some times fake it, and push your way through whatever life throws your way.  The one lesson (or at least one of them) that I do not recall learning is how to juggle.  When I was in high school and even college I was the queen of keeping busy and mastering every task I set out to accomplish.  It was nothing for me to balance school, work, studying, church, five or six extracurricular clubs, participate in two or three community organizations, volunteer, baby sit, and still maintain a social life.  I thrived in the fast-pace environment.  But somehow, despite all of that, I failed to learn how to juggle.

If there is one parenting skill I would like to have immediately it is to juggle.  I am not talking throwing balls or flaming swords in the air juggling.  Although, that might be entertaining providing I did not seriously hurt myself, but that is a different story all together.  The juggling I am talking about is trying to meet the needs of boys, maintain my relationship with my husband, find some me time, keep the house in order, still do well in school, deal with CPS and foster systems demands, and the list goes on.  I learned that I cannot accomplish everything in one day, week, month, or at all.  It took stubborn me a while to accept this, but I finally came to grips with it.  The issue still remains that I cannot juggle.  I can multitask like no other, but when everything is thrown up in the air, and I have to catch and then release, catch and then release, catch and release again, and so forth, I find myself unable to complete the simplest of tasks.  Perhaps I should have learned how to juggle in high school and college..

Despite not being able to play catch and release a million times a day, I must say we are doing fairly well.  The boys are happy and healthy.  I love my husband more every day.  I am still somehow making A's in school (not sure how...lol).  The house is "clean" by most people's standards.  Laundry is manageable.  And by the end of the day, despite being completely exhausted and covered in some sort of bodily fluids, I look my husband and the sleeping kids, and I can't wait to do it all over again tomorrow.

I am not sure if I will ever learn how to juggle, but I am thankful for the all of the blessing God has given me, even the ones delivered in slimy bodily fluids.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment