The simple things in life are really what life is all about. It is far too easy to get caught up in the lights, glamour, latest trends, and "must-haves," but one thing I have been reminded of by these little guys, is that the simple things in life are what makes life worth living. =) The sound of baby's first laugh will warm your heart, fill you joy, and will inevitably also cause you to laugh. Our littlest one began laughing this weekend. He would smile and coo before, but now it is a full fledged laugh. I wish I could duplicate his sound in words, but for now I will have to settle trying to capture it on video.
The firsts for everything (tantrums excluded) are exciting and serve as reminders to just how precious life truly is. Our biggest little guy, began dancing this weekend. He has no rhythm and there is no doubt he is a white guy, but he tries so hard. His dancing is a cross between a cabbage patch/sprinkler move (for all of the children of the 80s), a hip shake, and some random bouncing. It cracks me up to no end!
Even more precious and amazing than laughs and dancing, and is being called mama. Last night he started trying to say mama and it came it more like baba. We worked for a while getting the right lip formation to make the mmmm sound. This morning he started right in with mama. It was mama everything. (I am sure in a few more months I will be wishing my name was something other than mama or mom or mommy when he starts in calling my name all the time.) The culmination of "mama" occurred when I dropped him off at school this morning. He went in his room and started playing, but as soon as I said bye-bye and waved, his eyes welled up with the biggest alligator tears, his face turned red, and cried out MAMA. I think leaving him this morning was harder for me than him. As soon as he said mama while talking to/about me, my heart broke in a thousand little pieces. Who would have thought that a simple two-syllable word could make a grown person stand completely speechless in their tracks!
I treasure each of the simple joys in life more now than I ever have in the past. Whether laughing, dancing, saying mama, giving hugs, seeing brothers interact with each other, watching the dogs play with the boys, or even the moon rising as I am up for the middle of the night feeding, nothing beats the simple joys in life - especially as a mother. =)
Boy does this bring back memories. I bawled my eyes out the first time you called me mamma. I was putting you to bed and you reached up for me and said "no mamma" How could I resist that precious little face. I scooped you up and held you in the rocking chair and just cried. I felt like my heart was literally going to explode with love for you. You don't know how many times I have prayed that you would get to know that love yourself.
ReplyDelete